Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Geek or Nerd?

I'm surprised to see that this blog is still here.



So, to explain my absence, I will merely say this - Over the past month or two, I have been thinking, without writing.



I just sit, unwilling to move in my chair downstairs (which is why I'm typing from the upstairs computer). It's unfortunate, really. There is much that could have been recounted - It could still, but I'm unlikely to catch up now.



All I can attempt is to pickup where I left off....







I'll start with today. In Early Morning Seminary, we had a lesson on the difference between feeling the spirit and being guided by the spirit. I recounted my experience in the temple, with the vision of the Holy Ghost holding a journal. We read in 1st Samuel 3, about this experience.

Ch. 9 test in AP Calculus Bc, Infinite Series - I got 77%.

District Orchestra Festival was today, so that I could finish my government in percussion ensemble- I really should have gone to that tonight...

Wrote half of an essay in AP English, this is where I want to go a little more in depth:



The prompt was based on a poem titled "Poetry of Departures" by Philip Larkin.

The poem discussed two ways of living - The boring, and mundane life, a "Life, in perfect order", and the adventurous life, one where at a moment's notice, you get up, and go backpacking across Europe.

The author talks about how he hears about a man who starts the adventurous life - "He chucked up everything and just cleared out" He seems to take a confidence in this: "Surely I can, if he did?", yet he uses that same reason as a method to keeping his sanity in the boring life - "And that helps me stay Sober and industrious."

In the end, he remarks that taking up the adventurous life (for him) would be just as artificial as the perfectly structured life that he has.

He concludes by commentating on the fact that his choice is "a life reprehensibly perfect": Perfect, because it conforms to the conventional mold, and reprehensibly because from that mold there is no escape.




This makes sense to me, especially if I put it into terms of a Geek and a Nerd. Neither can be classified as mundane or adventurous over the other, however, a Nerd's life for me will end up with a heavy academic load always, and a difficult time balancing everything else, yet geek for me would be just enough academia with time enough to pursue my other interests...







I don't know. This is the stuff that I've been thinking about for the past little while, whether or not I am a geek or a nerd.

If I am a geek, I can be accepting of my video game playing, my slacking grades, and I will be allowed to relax my grip just a teensy bit, to one that would be manageable...giving me free time for other interests, like percussion, church, and girls.

If I am a nerd, my video games and grades would be intolerable, as I should be exceling in every area. I would need to again select a heavy class schedule, that I may or may not be able to handle. In other aspects of my life, I would most likely falter...

Yet, much as I am against being a nerd, an Aerospace Engineer is a nerd's job...







*sigh* yet another night without an answer, or even a direction. Perhaps I should ask someone who knows.........

No comments: