Thursday, March 1, 2012

Art, Science, Religion, and Ambition vs. Happiness

Things are gonna change. I know so.

March will be a time to Learn, or Know.
April will be a time to Act, or Do.
May will be a time to Share, or Become.

March: I will pull myself out of this glunk (with a little tug from that friendly spirit, "THE KING OF THE NORTH POLE!!!" (The Polar Express)) and I will start to realize that "A double minded man is unstable in all his ways" (James 1:8), and that I cannot continue to expect that I can just work hard at school and play at home, that I need to do my homework.

April: By this point in time, I will have learned how to work at home, and will put it into practice with study and review for the 5 AP tests I will be taking.

May: I will take the AP tests, and I will become a graduated student of Murray High School, ready to dive into a year of college before my mission.







...That's the plan, anyway.







I got the M98B in Battlefield 3. Anyone care? No? Me neither.

I built a piston canal and portcullis in Minecraft. Anyone care? No? Me neither.





I haven't been reading my scriptures. Anyone care? Yep? Me too.

I haven't been saying my prayers. Anyone care? One God? Yep.

I haven't been writing in my journals. Anyone care? No? I do.















So, I got two really conflicting quotes on my wall right now, that could explain my slump. One says:



"Writing is hard work, but it can be pleasant hard work if we see it for what it really is - a challenge to our creativity, an opportunity to know our own mind, and a chance to share our thoughts and feelings with others.' - John R. Trimble, Writing with Style, Epilog, pg. 138

It tells me why I should write in my journals. Why I should partake of this ambition.



But the other says:



"Seek happiness in tranquility and avoid ambition, even if it be only the apparently innocent one of distinguishing yourself in science and discoveries." - Frankenstein, Mary Shelley, pg. 192.



I went out to find that tranquility, and avoided the ambition that I had thought was writing...I never found that happiness. I still haven't quite found it.







I just took down that quote.

The writing one remains.

...I hope this will make me happy...

4 comments:

Chris said...

Last night made it real! Registering for college means you will really be leaving our home in a mere matter of months. Cherie and I are excited for you . . . and sad, at the same time. Your spirit, energy, stories and laughter will be missed! So proud of you!!! Dad

Teagan said...

Ha. It's funny, because my parents are all like "FINALLY. Let's go to Italy now that we're rid of the kid."

Lul, no, their sad to see me leave. But happy to go to Italy.

cherie said...

Yes, we care but love you no matter what you decide to do!

xoxoxo
Mom

cherie said...

Yes, we care but love you no matter what you decide to do!

xoxoxo
Mom